Achieving Turn-Key Landscape Construction
Know your property, achieve your needs.
Successful turn key landscape construction is often the last step prior to your grand opening but the first step toward curb appeal, attracting customers, and establishing a long-term and cost effective exterior. The key to success lies in your familiarity with your property and the plan that has been approved for your exteriors. From the turn of the first shovel to the first time a site is mowed, landscape construction must be effectively managed and monitored to ensure a viable landscape that conforms to your company’s expectations.
The first step toward landscape installation success is to be familiar with your property and the plan that has been designed and certified for use. There are a number of questions that you must ask to guarantee that you have a functional exterior that satisfies expectations of safety, security, function, and aesthetic. Review the site drawings and ask the questions below to determine suitability:
- Is the plant material listed suitable for your region?
- Will mature plant sizes hinder right of ways and visibility/signage concerns?
- Are any of the plants selected poisonous or give off a noxious smell?
- Does the landscape plan and plants selected match up with your irrigation or lack thereof?
- Are the hardscape goods used, such as mulch, pavers, and retaining walls serve the function intended?
These are just a few of the inquiries you should make to insure your landscape attracts customers rather than steering them away. Each of the items above is also applicable to smaller jobs of renovation or rehabilitation of the established landscape. In order to determine these factors and guarantee a turn-key project, you may want to contact a professional ESM company. ESM firms are staffed by veteran landscape professionals who specialize in the many facets of commercial landscape construction. They can conduct a thorough site assessment and plan review to provide you with the information you need to make informed decisions. An ESM company can even cost out your project or provide small-scale design and analysis of renovation projects. Whether you are preparing for a grand opening or giving a retail chain a new face, a professional ESM company will offer a variety of landscape construction services. They could include:
- Traditional irrigation systems
- Drip and micro-irrigation systems
- Lawn renovations
- Tree & shrub removal / planting
- Small scale excavation projects
- Organic and inorganic mulching
- Water features (ponds, fountains, etc)
- Themed construction
- Erosion control
- Tree relocation
- Stone walls
Uniquely different than landscape maintenance, there are various serious risk factors involved with landscape construction. For contractors, attaining success in the landscape construction industry is becoming more and more challenging as the dynamics continue to change in the market space. Technology is the single, largest change affecting how bids are awarded and managed. There is currently a significant shortage of skilled landscape construction workers in the United States, not to mention landscape contractors that keep their skills and technology up to date. Whether you use in-house staff for your landscape construction or you contract out to regional and/or local sub-contractors, there are a number of risks to take into consideration. Are your construction project managers up to the task of insuring a worry free and cost effective landscape installation? Do they have the required green expertise to manage exteriors beyond building construction, HVAC, and hard surfaces? To insure a successful turnkey landscape, they must be familiar with the following:
- Keeping up with changing regulatory environments
- Staying on top of cost-effective training techniques
- Enforcing employment practices
- Covering liability concerns
- Conducting safety training
- Warranty verbiage for plants and turf
- Dealing with new procurement technology
- Paying attention to risk management challenges
- Dealing with theft and/or fraud of plant material
- Insuring compliance with standard industry horticultural practices
- Effective after market viability of materials and determination of successful establishment
- Damage and inventory control
- Plan and drawing integrity. Did you get the plants you were supposed to?
These are fairly standard items to monitor when involved in new construction; however, the average project manager has insufficient knowledge or experience to apply these factors to the landscape construction. A more cost effective and accountable method to assure municipal, architectural, and aesthetic compliance is to utilize the services of an ESM company. A veteran ESM firm can negotiate the myriad of factors involved and provide accurate monitoring and reporting to ensure you have received the correct landscape with minimized future costs.
It looks great! But now what do I do?
One of the primary advantages of utilizing an ESM Company to manage your landscape construction is that this relationship affords you a “true” turnkey project. A professional ESM company is an expert at developing the specifications and services needed to maintain your new and thriving landscape. They can provide the service necessary to maintain the landscape for years to come and possess an integral ownership mentality through their involvement in its installation. By using an ESM Company, you eliminate any learning curve or lapse of service. Additionally, you warranties are easily tracked and resolved when needed.
Ready to Evaluate Your Exterior Maintenance Services?
If your retail stores or facilities are struggling with curb appeal, quality assurance issues, or simply have trouble completing landscaping specifications for national formats, you might want to consider calling a national ESM Company. A management program could improve your current landscaping and customer appeal, reduce your overall expenses, eliminate the worries of liability and provide fluid service to the exteriors of all your facilities and stores.